For the first time in the Middle East region, three pairs of Gentoo Penguins now call Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo their home.
Gentoo Penguins are the latest arrivals to Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo, and we�ve recreated their icy Antarctic home for them.
We have created a special enclosure that simulates the natural environment of the Gentoo Penguins with ice beds, water surfaces and the ambient temperature regulated at zero and sub-zero degree Celsius.
Come and meet our cool new residents at the �Melting Ice� exhibit at Underwater Zoo, located on Level 2, today.
- Gentoo penguins are distinguished by a wide white stripe across the tops of their heads from one eye to the other, and a bright orange beak
- No other penguin has such a prominent tail
- They are the largest members of the stiff-tailed family, and live in large and noisy breeding colonies
- They are 75 to 95 centimetres tall and weigh about 6 kg; the females are smaller than the males
- Their nests are circular made from pile stones, pebbles, grass and sticks
- They can be very aggressive about their nests, fighting over stones and sticks
- The male and female penguins tend to the eggs, which hatch in 34 to 36 days