For the first time in the Middle East region, three pairs of Gentoo Penguins now call Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo their home.
Gentoo Penguins are the latest arrivals to Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo, and we've recently renovated their icy Antarctic home for them, creating a more
at-home environment for the Gentoo's.
We have created a special enclosure that simulates the natural environment of the Gentoo Penguins with ice beds, water surfaces and the ambient temperature regulated at zero and sub-zero degree Celsius.
Come and meet our cool residents at the "Melting Ice" exhibit at Underwater Zoo, located on Level 2, today. You will enjoy interactive presentations by aquatic and marine educators who will provide you with an opportunity to better understand the world of penguins.
- Gentoo penguins are distinguished by a wide white stripe across the tops of their heads from one eye to the other, and a bright orange beak
- No other penguin has such a prominent tail
- They are the largest members of the stiff-tailed family, and live in large and noisy breeding colonies
- They are 75 to 95 centimeters tall and weigh about 6 kg; the females are smaller than the males
- Their nests are circular made from pile stones, pebbles, grass and sticks
- They can be very aggressive about their nests, fighting over stones and sticks
- The male and female penguins tend to the eggs, which hatch in 34 to 36 days